Tribal Consultation Plan
The President signed the “Tribal Consultation” Presidential Memorandum (PM) on Thursday, November 5, 2009. This PM directs executive departments and agencies to take certain actions to implement Executive Order (EO) 13175, which addresses the Federal Government’s consultation and coordination with Indian tribal governments. The PM requires that:
- Each agency head submit to OMB a detailed plan of actions the agency will take to implement the policies and directives of EO 13175. This is OSTP’s Tribal Consultation Plan.
- Agencies must submit to OMB a progress report on the actions taken pursuant to these plans together with proposed updates to the plan. This is OSTP’s Progress Report.
- OMB and the White House Domestic Policy Council (DPC) will review these plans for consistency with EO 13175.
- Each agency's plan and subsequent reports shall designate an appropriate official to coordinate implementation of the plan and preparation of the required progress reports. OSTP designates its General Counsel as the point of contact for tribal consultation. Phone: (202) 456-7116. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- OMB, in coordination with the DPC, submit to the President, within 1 year of November 5, 2009, a report on the implementation of EO 13175 across the executive branch based on its review of agency reports, as well as recommendations, if any, for improving tribal participation in Federal policy decisions affecting Indian tribes.