About the PIAB
The Board consists of not more than 16 members appointed by the President from among individuals who are not employed by the Federal Government. Members are distinguished citizens selected from the national security, political, academic, and private sectors. The Board is a nonpartisan body, independent of the Intelligence Community, free from day-to-day management or operational responsibilities, and with full access to the complete range of intelligence-related information.
The President designates a Chair from among the members of the Board who convenes and presides at meetings of the Board, determines its agenda, and directs its work. The President also appoints an Executive Director, who reports to the Chairman and manages the professional staff which is selected and detailed from Intelligence Community agencies.
The Board reports its findings and recommendations on improving the performance of intelligence entities to the President as necessary, but not less than twice each year. On behalf of the President, the Board assesses issues pertaining to the:
- Quality, quantity, and adequacy of intelligence activities;
- Effectiveness of organizational structure, management, and personnel; and
- Performance of all agencies of the Federal Government engaged in the collection, evaluation, or production of intelligence or the execution of intelligence policy.
As a component element of the PIAB, the Intelligence Oversight Board’s (IOB) mission is to oversee the Intelligence Community’s compliance with the Constitution and all applicable laws, Executive Orders, and Presidential Directives. In reviewing the legality and propriety of intelligence activities, the Board advises the President on intelligence activities that the Board believes:
- May be unlawful or contrary to Executive Order or presidential directive;
- Are not being adequately addressed by the Attorney General, the Director of National Intelligence, or the head of the department or agency concerned; or
- Should be immediately brought to his attention.