Our Top Stories
What You Missed: Open for Questions on Cybersecurity Awareness
05:54 PM EST
As part of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt answered your questions in a live video chat. We took your questions from Facebook and About.com, and covered a range of questions from cyber crime to social network safety to mobile technology protection -- plus a lot more.
You can watch the full video of the chat or use the links below to jump to the questions that you're interested in. Visit DHS.gov/Cyber and OnGuardOnline.gov for more information about practices that can enhance the security of our shared cyber networks.
Use the links below to jump directly to a question (questions are paraphrased).
- Opening Remarks
- Does the Obama administration regard the wide-open nature of the internet as an asset or a liability?
- What is the greatest single cyber security threat that you face today?
- Are there plans to leverage the hearts and minds of Americans with crowd sourcing strategies to protect us from cyber crime?
- What guidelines are currently in place regarding federal government employees taking their laptops home?
- On Facebook, there have been several applications that have the capability of obtaining personal information. What are you doing to prevent this?
- How concerned is the White House that the internet is serving as an environment for international cyber crime? What are you doing to prevent this?
- Is there a cyber security emergency system in place?
- Is the Administration going to be taking steps to protect taxpayers’ personal information?
- If you are a victim of cyber crime, how do you report it?
- What steps will the Federal Government take to hire new cyber security professionals?
- Are we doing anything to inform seniors to the internet?
- What’s being done to protect the privacy of our health records online? How can we recover from the inevitable leaks of information on the internet?
- Is there an emphasis on protection of information on mobile devices?
- What are the major points of the Tech plan for the US Government?
- Is the US Government planning to give free and daily up-to-date anti-virus and firewall software sometime in the future?