What You Missed: Tuesday Talk on The National Medals Laureates of Science, Technology and Innovation
10:00 AM EDT
Ed. Note: Watch the President award recipients at the National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation Ceremony live on Wednesday, November 16 at 5:25 p.m. EST on WhiteHouse.gov/live.
This evening, President Obama will award recipients of the National Medal of Science and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the highest honors bestowed by the United States government on scientists, engineers, and inventors.
Yesterday, three National Medal recipients joined us for Tuesday Talks – including Steven Sasson, the inventor of the digital camera; Marye Anne Fox, a pioneer in organic photochemistry and electrochemistry; and Warren Washington, a leader in climate change research. They answered your questions on a range of topics – from the evolution of digital photography to careers for women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) -- in a live video chat on WhiteHouse.gov and Facebook.
You can check out the full video of the chat or use the links below to jump directly to the questions you're interested in.
Questions are paraphrased.
- Opening remarks
- What can be done to turn the US back to a leader in science and technology? How can we inspire the next generation?
- Steven Sasson: How will digital photography evolve over the next decades?
- How many years does it take to see the effect of volcanic eruptions on climate?
- What do you think about the manipulation of climate research for political means?
- Is chemistry important or very important?
- What can we do to make solar panels more efficient and cost effective?
- Steven Sasson: Did you experience skepticism from the film industry during your digital photography discoveries?
- What are three things that the government and citizens can do to help our country become more energy independent?
- Does the White House have solar power? There are a lot of people that would like solar power but cannot afford it, what can be done to help?
- Steven Sasson: Has digital photography eliminated any of the raw characteristics of traditional photography?
- Dr. Fox: What’s the next big thing in chemical photonics?
- Who was your favorite science teacher?
- What should we focus on for the field of technology in the future?
- Dr. Fox: How can women advance within a STEM related career?
- If you weren't in science, what would you choose for your 2nd career?
- What are your theories on ways to reverse global warming?
- What does it mean to your personally and professionally to receive the National Medal in your field?
Watch what you missed in previous Tuesday Talks:
- Tuesday Talk on Veterans Day with Tammy Duckworth
- Tuesday Talk on the President’s Trip to Asia
- Tuesday Talk with David Axelrod
- Tuesday Talk with Austan Goolsbee
- Tuesday Talk with The President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities
- Tuesday Talk with Elizabeth Warren