Weekly Wrap Up: Healthy Anniversary!
Your quick look at the week that was on WhiteHouse.gov
Protecting Civilians in Libya: As U.S. forces participate in a U.N. coalition to establish a no-fly zone over Libya, President Obama spoke on the humanitarian importance of our mission in North Africa. He also answered questions from the media during press conferences in Chile and El Salvador.
The Affordable Care Act Turns One: On March 23, 2010, President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. In the 12 months since, millions of Americans have benefited from improvements to the American health care system. WhiteHouse.gov had a whole week of coverage:
- Read about the benefits the Affordable Care Act has provided to seniors, small businesses, women, and young adults.
- Watch President Obama's surprise phone call to a young man in Michigan who can pursue his dream of becoming a doctor.
- Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President and Chair of the Council on Women and Girls, authored a guest blog post.
- Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis wrote a special post on the Department of Labor blog.
- Vice President Biden recorded a video message to mark the one-year anniversary.
Economic Cooperation with Latin America: The First Family visited several of our neighbors in Latin America to discuss efforts to increase American exports. The President delivered speeches in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Santiago, Chile.
West Wing Week: "OCONUS II: Mamalluca"
Out-Educating to Out-Compete: U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk visited T.C. Williams High School in Virginia to talk about the importance of a world-class education to stay competitive in a global economy. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood saw what students can build at the AEM Construction Challenge in Las Vegas.
Women's History Month at Energy: In honor of Women’s History Month, the Department of Energy brought you the stories of women in the energy and science industries.
Affordable Homes for Vets: The Treasury Department blog told the story of a Navy family who were able to keep their home under the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP).
Rural Development in Mississippi: The USDA Blog highlighted the opening of the Greater Refuge Community Center in Canton, MS, which was financed through a USDA Rural Development loan.
"MyTSA" Wins Best Government App: The "MyTSA" app for iPhones was awarded the Best Government Mobile App.
New U.S. Population Center: Based on results from the 2010 Census, the mean center of population in the United States is just outside Plato, MO.
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy