Join Us for an Online Women’s Health Town Hall
June 05, 2012
11:28 AM EDT
As part of our focus on women’s health, the White House and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) would like to invite you to participate online in a Women’s Health Town Hall on Thursday, June 7, 2012. The event will be streamed live from the White House and the HHS websites from 10 am to 11:30 am ET.
The event will be an interactive, open dialogue about how the health care law, the Affordable Care Act, is improving the health of women and their families.
Do you know how the law affects you, your mother, and your daughter? Here are some highlights:
- The law requires insurance companies to cover people with pre-existing conditions, and means the end of women being denied or charged more for coverage just because they’re women.
- It also zeroes in on ensuring access to preventive services like mammograms and blood pressure screenings by making them available without a co-pay.
- It strengthens the Medicare program by cracking down on fraud, waste and abuse and closing the prescription drug gap known as the “donut hole,” which means lower prescription drug costs for all seniors.
We encourage you to send us what you want to know about the law. Submit questions using the Twitter hashtag #WomensHealth or on the HHS Facebook page.
- Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President and Chair of the White House Council on Women and Girls
- Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Tina Tchen, Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls and Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama
- Cecilia Muñoz, Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council
- Mayra Alvarez, Director of Public Health Policy, Office of Health Reform, Health and Human Services
- Caya Lewis, Counselor to the Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Judy Waxman, Vice President of the National Women’s Law Center
- Margarita Bertsos, Health Editor of REDBOOK
- Kelly Wallace, Chief Correspondent and Executive Director of Digital Video of iVillage
Mark your calendar!