What You Missed: White House Hangout on Combating Human Trafficking
07:50 PM EDT
This week, President Obama spoke at the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting about his administration’s efforts to combat human trafficking. "Our fight against human trafficking is one of the great human rights causes of our time and the United States will continue to lead it," the President said.
We continued the conversation today by hosting a live video chat with administration officials, including Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls Tina Tchen and Senior Director for Multilateral Affairs Samantha Power. Participating leaders from the NGO and faith community included:
- Malika Saada-Saar, Executive Director, Human Rights Project for Girls
- Natalie Grant, Christian music artist and, Founder, Abolition International
- Randy Newcomb, President and CEO, Humanity United
- Kaitlyn Ruhland, Student, International Justice Mission
- Kay Buck, CEO and Executive Director, Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking (CAST)
Joshua DuBois, Executive Director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, moderated the Hangout and thousands of you joined the discussion online. During the event, the hashtag #WHHangout was even trending nationwide on Twitter.
If you missed the live event, you can watch the full video right here. And be sure to check out the President’s speech at CGI and learn more about the Administration’s efforts to combat human trafficking at home and abroad.