West Wing Week: 10/05/12 or "Operation Educate the Educators"
12:00 AM EST
Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that's happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This week, the White House and The Treasury hosted events highlighting innovative apps, we travel with Dr. Biden to events in Washington and Virginia and the White House Blue Room Christmas tree is selected in North Carolina. That's September 28th to October 5th or "Operation Educate the Educators".
- We headed down the block to 1500 Pennsylvania Ave., and the Department of the Treasury for our latest installment of Tech Nation. There, the winners of MyMoneyAppUp, a contest for mobile app ideas and designs that help Americans make smart financial choices, were announced.
- Tech Nation continued at The White House Energy Datapalooza, where private sector entrepreneurs and innovators presented their products, services, and apps that advance a secure and clean energy future.
- That evening, as the sun set on 1600 Pennsylvania avenue, the White House and the Naval Observatory- the Vice President’s residence- turned pink in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- The White House Grounds Superintendent and Supervisor Horticulturalist traveled to Jefferson, NC, to select the official White House Christmas tree that will stand in the blue room during this year's holiday season.
- That evening, English professor Dr. Jill Biden attended "Do the Write Thing," an event in Washington, hosted by 826 National - a network of nonprofit writing and tutoring centers co-founded by author Dave Eggers.
- Dr. Biden celebrated a milestone in "Operation Educate the Educators," at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia. More than 100 colleges and universities have now signed on to the Joining Forces commitment that will help prepare educators to lead classrooms and develop school cultures that are more responsive to the social emotional and academic needs of children in military families.