West Wing Week: 11/30/12 or "#My2k, Tweet it!"
12:00 AM EDT
Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that's happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This week, the National Christmas Tree arrived at the White House and holiday decorating got underway, while the President marked Small Business Saturday, and met with leaders of businesses large and small to discuss the importance of avoiding a middle class tax hike next year. He also welcomed the President-Elect of Mexico, his Cabinet, his science and technology council, and the 2012 American Nobel Laureates.
Friday, November 23rd:
- The First Lady along with Malia, Sasha, and Bo, greeted the official White House Christmas Tree, which arrived on a horse-drawn carriage. After the 18 1/2 foot Fraser Fir from Jefferson, NC, received the approval from the First Family, the tree was prepped then placed in the Blue Room where it will remain throughout the holiday season.
- The president and his daughters kicked off their Christmas shopping at One More Page, an independent, neighborhood bookstore in Arlington, Va, for Small Business Saturday.
- The President met with small business owners in the Roosevelt Room to discuss the importance of extending tax cuts for the middle class.
- Later, the President welcomed the President-Elect of Mexico.
- The President invited to the White House a group of middle class Americans who would see their taxes go up if Congress fails to act.
- Later, the President held a Cabinet Meeting in the Cabinet Room.
- Meanwhile, the First Lady invited military families to preview the decorations for this year's "Joy to All" Holiday celebration. Thanks to the tireless work of volunteers from across the nation, the People's House had been transformed with Christmas trees, garlands, lights and ornaments.
- The President welcomed the 2012 American Nobel Laureates to the Oval Office to honor their magnificent achievements.
- The Vice President traveled to a brand-new Costco in Washington, D.C. The Vice President underscored the importance of extending tax cuts for millions of middle-class families, because those families are the customers that businesses like Costco depend on to grow and create jobs. He also had the chance to do some shopping.
- That afternoon, The President met with Governor Mitt Romney for lunch.
- Later, the President conferred with the members of his Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
- The President ended the day by honoring the 142 Fall White House Interns.