West Wing Week: 12/21/12 or "We Are There For Them"
12:00 AM EST
Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that's happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This week, the President addressed the national tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, and promised meaningful action to address gun violence. The White House also hosted some of its newest Pinterest followers, and the President spread some holiday cheer.
- After the tragic events in Newtown Connecticut, the President delivered an emotional statement in the White House briefing room.
- The President traveled to Newtown, CT, and spoke at an interfaith vigil for the victims of the shooting and their families.
- To help kick off the White House presence on Pintrest, the Office of Digital Strategy hosted a White House Holiday Social with some of our newest Pintrest followers, where the Pinners had a chance to talk with and hear from a series of White House officials, including Director of the Visitors Office Ellie Schafer, the Chief of Staff for the First Lady Tina Tchen, and Digital Strategists.
- The President dropped by the offices of some of his staff -- who play a critical role in running the day to day functions of the White House-- for some holiday greetings, a whole lot of hugs, group photos, and some time to thank the staff for all the their hard work.
- The President delivered a statement about the policy process the Administration will pursue in the wake of the Newtown tragedy, then took questions from reporters about it and his efforts to find a bipartisan compromise to reduce our deficit.
- That evening, the President addressed a gathering of the State Department's Diplomatic Corps for the holidays, and spoke on the importance of their work in light of recent events here at home.