Our Top Stories
West Wing Week: 02/15/13 or “You’re a Hero”
05:17 PM EST
This week, the President delivered the first State of the Union address of his second term, and then brought his proposals to a factory in North Carolina and a school in Georgia, presided over a Medal of Honor ceremony, honored the outgoing Secretary of Defense, and hungout on Google Plus.
Friday, February 8th
- The President met with some of his speechwriters in the Oval Office for a working session on the State of the Union address.
- The 2012-2013 White House Fellows had a Q&A session with the President.
- Team Rubicon visited the Oval Office.
- The President paid tribute to outgoing Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta at a ceremony at Fort Myer.
Monday, February 11th
- The President gave the Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant Clinton Romesha for his heroic actions in Afghanistan.
- West Wing Week checked in on some of the speechwriters for an update on the address.
Tuesday, February 12th
- When the President addressed the nation from the US Capitol for the first State of the Union of his second term, the White House provided an enhanced version of the speech that offered charts, facts and other supporting information as the President spoke.
- Immediately following the speech, the White House streamed a virtual, live Q&A. During this special “Open for Questions” event, a panel of senior advisors answered questions about the President's address submitted by citizens via Twitter, Google+ and Facebook, as well as from the live audience.
Wednesday, February 13th
- On Wednesday, the President traveled to Arden, North Carolina to the factory floor of the Linamar Corporation, where he heard first-hand about Linamar's collaboration with the nearby community college to train workers for good manufacturing jobs right here in America.
Thursday, February 14th
- The President traveled to Decatur, Georgia, to the College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center, where he visited classrooms and spoke on his plan, unveiled in the State of the Union Address, to ensure high-quality preschool for every child.
- The President hosted a Google Plus hangout where they discussed his proposals from the State of the Union, among other topics.