Our Top Stories
FLOTUS Travel Journal: Baba wa Watoto
05:52 PM EDT
I just watched the most extraordinary group of young people sing, dance and perform gravity-defying acrobatic feats – and they did it all with rhythm, style and grace!
These kids are part of the Baba wa Watoto (which is Swahili for “father of children”) Center, an amazing community organization that gives kids the opportunities they need to succeed in school and in life. Many of you might participate in programs like this – such as Girl Scouts or 4H or the Boys and Girls Club – in your own communities, so you know what a difference they can make. Like these programs, Babawatoto teaches kids about the power of hard work, discipline and leadership, skills they can apply to every part of their lives. And seeing the talent, energy and passion these kids brought to that stage today, I’m confident that they’ll be successful wherever their journeys take them.
More travel journals from the First Lady:
- June 26, 2013: Kicking Off Our Trip to Africa
- June 27, 2013: An Example to Follow
- June 27, 2013: Visiting Goree Island
- June 28, 2013: My Return to South Africa
- June 29, 2013: Connecting Continents
- June 30, 2013: Robben Island, an Experience We Will Never Forget
- July 1, 2013: A Warm Welcome to Tanzania