Countdown to Affordable Health Care
Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
04:15 PM EST
Ed. Note: This is cross-posted from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. You can see the original post here.
Today we’ve reached yet another milestone on the road to affordable health care: 100 days to coverage.
For years, millions of Americans have been denied the security and peace of mind of having health insurance. Too many have been priced out, locked out, or dumped out by insurance companies.
But thanks to the Affordable Care Act, all of that is changing. January 1, 2014 -- 100 days from today --marks a New Day, when coverage will be more accessible and affordable. On that day, coverage begins for those who signed up in the Health Insurance Marketplace by December 15, 2013.
The Marketplace is a new, simpler way to purchase health insurance –all in one place. You can go online to find and compare options, see if you qualify for lower costs, and select coverage that meets your needs and budget.
Here’s what else is happening on January 1:
- Health insurance plans can't refuse to cover you or charge you more just because you have a pre-existing health condition, such as diabetes or asthma.
- More people than ever will qualify for Medicaid.
- Insurance companies will no longer be allowed to limit lifetime coverage for essential health benefits.
- The small business tax credit expands.
Of course, the New Year isn’t the only important date coming up. October 1, 2013, marks the beginning of an intense six-month long open enrollment and public education campaign. You can enroll through the end of March.
Many will enroll online at HealthCare.gov. For some, it will be easier to enroll by phone (1-800-318-2596), in person (Find Local Help), or by mail. To make the process even easier, we have trained assisters to help answer all of your coverage questions.
Spread the word to your friends, neighbors, and colleagues that new options for affordable, quality health coverage are in sight.
For more information:
- Learn more about the Health Insurance Marketplace, launching October 1