Our Top Stories
West Wing Week 01/24/14 or, "199!"
12:01 AM EST
Welcome to the West Wing Week, your guide to everything that's happening at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. This week, the President announced important reforms to the National Security Agency and new measures to prevent sexual assault, honored Martin Luther King with a service project at DC Central Kitchen, signed the 2014 appropriations bill into law to fund the government, and hosted a conference of mayors. That's January 17th to January 23rd or, "199!"
Friday, January 17th
- This week, the President delivered a speech discussing U.S. intelligence programs at the Department of Justice.
- Then, the President thanked government staff for their service.
- Following that, President Obama was interviewed by the German broadcasting station ZDF.
Monday, January 20th
- The First Family spent their Monday honoring Martin Luther King Jr through service by helping to prepare food at the DC Central kitchen.
Wednesday, January 22nd
- The President issued a Presidential Memorandum to establish the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault
- Later that day, the Vice President held a meeting with the speaker of the Iraqi Council of Representatives.
Thursday, January 23rd
- The President hosted mayors from across the country who were in Washington for the 82nd Winter Meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors.
- The First Lady promoted her Lets Move! initiative through an announcement of 3 year commitment with Subway and the Partnership for a Healthy America.