We Read, We Moved, We Volunteered!
We had a great time today as we kicked off Let’s Read! Let’s Move! for the summer. CEO Wendy Spencer teamed up with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan to take a field trip to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian, celebrating its 10th birthday this year.
Wendy, Secretary Duncan, and friends read a book called The Butterfly Dance to the students, who had just been introduced to native culture and traditions in an interactive activity that included dancing, music, and a horse-dressing demo. After the reading (which Wendy also acted out!), the students got active again with fun, physical challenges led by The Washington Kastles, the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington, and AmeriCorps members. Students got to try such activities as Iglu Building, ‘Ulu Maika Hawaiian Bowling, Yup’ik Yo-Yo, and tennis — and enjoyed healthy snacks along the way.
Museum Director Kevin Gover welcomed everyone along with special guests Broderick Johnson, assistant to the President and cabinet secretary; Sam Kass, executive director of Let’s Move! and senior policy advisor for nutrition policy; and the Washington Kastles with Head Coach Murphy Jensen.
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy