A New Moment of Promise in Africa
July 11, 2009
10:40 AM EST
- It is an honor for me to be in Accra & to speak to the representatives of the people of Ghana. I am proud that this is my first visit to sub-Saharan Africa as President of the US.
- The 21st century will be shaped by what happens not just in Rome or Moscow or Washington, but by what happens in Accra as well.
- I will focus on four areas that are critical to the future of Africa and the entire developing world: democracy; opportunity; health; and the peaceful resolution of conflict.
- Governments that respect the will of their own people are more prosperous, more stable, and more successful than governments that do not.
- With better governance, I have no doubt that Africa holds the promise of a broader base for prosperity.
- People must make responsible choices that prevent the spread of disease… promoting public health in their communities and countries.
- America will support these efforts through a comprehensive, global health strategy.
- Africa’s diversity should be a source of strength, not a cause for division
- We must stand up to inhumanity in our midst. It is never justifiable to target innocents in the name of ideology.
- I am speaking to the young people. You have the power to hold your leaders accountable, and to build institutions that serve the people.
- I can promise you this: America will be with you. As a partner. As a friend. Freedom is your inheritance. Now, it is your responsibility to build upon freedom’s foundation.