About Joining Forces
In 2011, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden came together to launch Joining Forces, a nationwide initiative calling all Americans to rally around service members, veterans, and their families and support them through wellness, education, and employment opportunities. Joining Forces works hand in hand with the public and private sector to ensure that service members, veterans, and their families have the tools they need to succeed throughout their lives.
Primary Objectives of Joining Forces
- Bring attention to the unique experiences and strengths of America’s service members, veterans, and their families.
- Inspire, educate, and spark action from all sectors of society -- citizens, communities, businesses, nonprofits, faith-based institutions, philanthropic organizations, and government -- to ensure service members, veterans, and their families have the opportunities, resources, and support they have earned.
- Showcase the skills, experience, and dedication of America’s service members, veterans and their families to strengthen our nation’s communities.
- Create greater connections between the American public and the military.
Joining Forces Commitments: Employment, Education, Wellness
Joining Forces is committed to raising awareness about the service, sacrifice, and needs of military families. In particular, with the input of military families, Joining Forces identified three priority areas for national initiatives: employment, education, and wellness.
- Expand employment and career development opportunities for veterans and military spouses.
- Highlight the workforce potential of veterans and military spouses.
- Educate employers about the need to create military family-friendly workplaces.
- Work to reduce or eliminate licensing and credentialing barriers.
- Learn more.
Promote expanded education opportunities that:
- Ease transferability for military-connected students.
- Increase job training opportunities for military spouses and veterans.
- Support the academic achievement of military children by enhancing awareness of the unique needs of military children and families.
- Learn more.
- Call attention to the critical issues facing veterans and military families.
- Expand access to wellness programs, and resources for military spouses and families.
- Learn more.
Related Blog Posts
- December 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM EST
In honor of our service members, veterans and their families, the Vice President and Dr. Jill Biden dedicated five trees at the Naval Observatory Residence representing each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- December 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM EST
Dr. Biden gives remarks at the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Induction Ceremony, highlighting the skills of military spouses and thanking organizations committed to hiring them.
- December 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM EST
For the last six years, First Lady Michelle Obama has teamed up with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve to spread holiday cheer through Toys for Tots, and ensure that less fortunate children have the opportunity to have a joyful holiday season. Organizations and individuals from all across the nation partake in the annual drive to collect new, unwrapped toys from October through December.