OMB Bulletin 03-03
March 31, 2003
BULLETIN NO. 03-03
TO THE HEADS AND ACTING HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND ESTABLISHMENTS
SUBJECT: Physicians Comparability Allowance Data Reporting Requirements
- Purpose. This Bulletin, which includes Attachments A and B, provides guidance on data reporting requirements for the Physicians Comparability Allowance (PCA) program. The Bulletin is issued pursuant to the 2002 edition of OMB Circular No. A-11, section 32.2 (b)(12).
Collection of this data by OMB is required to monitor government-wide PCA usage, physician employment, and physician compensation. The data will be used to evaluate the effect of the PCA program on Federal physician recruitment and retention and to issue the 2003 Presidential Report on the Physicians Comparability Allowance in accordance with the Federal Physicians Comparability Allowance Act as amended (5 U.S.C. 5948).
Later this fiscal year, agencies are also required to submit to OMB for approval a complete description of their plans for implementing the PCA program in fiscal year 2004.
- Background. OMB collects data on PCA program operations to prepare the Presidential Report and to assess Federal physician recruitment and retention needs. These data help ensure consistent government-wide implementation, and also are used to evaluate the effectiveness of the PCA program.
Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regulations implementing the PCA program require OMB approval of agency plans to pay allowances. The OPM regulations are published in 5 CFR 595.
- Content of This Year's Report. Reporting requirements for this year's PCA report are substantially the same as last year's. Attachment A is a listing of Federal agencies that are required to submit PCA data under this Bulletin. Attachment B is a data worksheet to be completed by agencies reporting the required PCA data. PCA-reporting agencies with organizational components that employed more than 100 physicians who received PCA payments during FY 2002 must submit separate reports by component (using the PCA worksheets), in addition to a composite report for the entire Department/agency.
Instructions for completing PCA worksheets are posted on OMB’s website at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/phycomp-inst03.pdf (6 pages, 115 kb). In addition, a copy of last year’s Presidential PCA report to the Congress is included for reference purposes at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/phycomp-rpt02.pdf (12 pages, 108 kb).
- Due Dates for 2003 Presidential Report Information and FY 2004 PCA Plans.
(a) Agencies are to furnish the requested PCA information for the 2003 Presidential Report by May 16, 2003.
(b) Agencies are to submit PCA plan descriptions for FY 2004 by September 8, 2003, using the format of the FY 2003 PCA plans.
- Contact. Questions regarding this Bulletin should be directed to the agency’s OMB representative.
- Termination Date. This Bulletin will terminate as soon as the requested data have been submitted.
Mitchell E. Daniels, Jr.