DEC in Indian Country
American Indians/Alaskan Natives substance abuse levels are higher than those for any other demographic group. American Indians and Alaska Natives are more likely than any other racial group to report past year drug abuse, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration's National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).
The following resources provide additional information on American Indians/Alaskan Natives and substance abuse:
- Indian Country Drug Threat Assessment 2008 – A comprehensive, strategic assessment of the threat posed to American Indians/Alaskan Natives communities by drug trafficking organizations (DTOs), criminal groups, and gangs and the illicit drugs they distribute on reservations throughout the United States.
- Video: The Right Choice – A Department of Justice video focused on how to say no to gangs and drugs in Arizona Indian Country.
- Preventing Meth on Tribal Lands – An anti-meth campaign aimed at educating tribal communities about the dangers associated with methamphetamine.
- Final Report: Participatory Evaluation of the Lummi Nation's Community Mobilization Against Drugs Initiative/Bureau of Justice Assistance's Indian Alcohol and Substance Abuse Demonstration Project – An evaluation report of the program and its application for other tribal communities.
- Perceptions of Methamphetamine Use in Three Western Tribal Communities: Implications for Child Abuse in Indian Country – A Tribal Law and Policy Institute survey that assesses community perceptions and awareness of meth use and the resultant implications for child maltreatment, permanency outcomes, and agency workloads.
- A Victim-Centered Approach to Crimes Against American Indian & Alaska Native Children – A resource guide and workbook for drafting new or amended tribal laws on crimes against children.
- National Methamphetamine InitiativeSurvey – The status of the methamphetamine threat and impact on Indian Lands.
- National Indian Country Methamphetamine Initiative – A National Congress of American Indians Web page.
- Methamphetamine in Indian County – A program designed to create awareness of the increasingly serious issue of meth manufacturing, trafficking, sales and abuse among tribes, villages and reservations across the country.