Roadmap to Recovery
- Milestone: 200 Days
- Milestone: 100 Days
Dear Mr. President,
In June, we highlighted ten Recovery Act commitments Cabinet members projected they would deliver on Day 200 of the Recovery Act. I am pleased to report to you that all ten agencies have met or exceeded their commitments.
In this report, we have provided you with details on each of these commitments, as well as maps showing where these activities are located. Also, as you are aware, the Council of Economic Advisers plans to report to you on projections of jobs created and saved as a result of the Recovery Act on September 10th.
Here is a summary of your Cabinet’s achievements for the 200 Day commitments:
- Enable 1,129 Health Centers in 50 States and 8 Territories to Provide Expanded Service to Approximately 300,000 Patients - The Department of Health and Human Services is pleased to report that they have exceeded this goal, providing expanded service at 1,129 Health Centers in 50 states and 8 territories, and providing that expanded service to approximately 500,000 patients.
- Begin Work on Rehabilitation and Improvement Projects at 98 Airports and Over 1,500 Highway Locations Throughout the Country - The Department of Transportation is pleased to report that they have exceeded this goal, beginning rehabilitation and improvement projects at 192 airports and on over 2,200 highways.
- Fund 135,000 Education Jobs Including Teachers, Principals and Support Staff - The Department of Education is pleased to report that they have met this commitment, funding over 135,000 education positions across the nation.
- Begin Improvements at 90 Veterans Medical Centers Across 38 States - The Department of Veterans Affairs is pleased to report that they have met this commitment.
- Hire or Keep on the Job Approximately 5,000 Law Enforcement Officers - The Department of Justice is pleased to report that they have met this commitment by funding 4,699 law enforcement officers’ salary and benefits for three years.
- Start 200 New Waste and Water Systems in Rural America - The Department of Agriculture is pleased to report that they have met this commitment.
- Begin Work on 107 National Parks - The Department of the Interior is pleased to report that they have exceeded this goal with work underway at 138 National Parks.
- Begin or Accelerate Cleanup Work at 20 Superfund Sites from the National Priority List - The Environmental Protection Agency is pleased to report that they have met this commitment.
- Create 125,000 Summer Youth Jobs - The Department of Labor is pleased to report that they have exceeded this commitment, with over 211,000 youth placed in rewarding summer job experiences this summer.
- Initiate 2,300 Construction and Rehabilitation Projects at 359 Military Facilities Across the Nation - The Department of Defense is pleased to report that they have exceeded this goal , with over 2,400 construction and rehabilitation projects underway at over 500 military facilities.
We have included maps that describe the location of the activities that occurred over the past 100 days. Each of these maps paints a broad picture of how Recovery is impacting areas across the United States.
We continue to work hard to get Recovery Act funds out across the country into communities across the nation, creating good jobs and better opportunities for all Americans.
THE RECOVERY BILL
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is a strategic and significant investment in our country’s future. The Act will save and create jobs immediately while also laying the foundation for a robust and sustainable 21st century economy by modernizing our health care, improving our schools, modernizing our infrastructure, and investing in the clean energy technologies of the future.