Around Town: July 22, 2009
Yesterday, we let you know about CEQ's new website, and told you about Energy Secretary Chu’s new Facebook page. Check it out to learn more about how the Administration is working towards a clean energy economy, and to see Secetary Chu's appearance on last night's Daily Show! But those aren’t the only interesting tidbits from around the agencies – check out some other recent stories:
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been abroad this past week, traveling to India and Thailand. You can read more about her trip, including transcripts from her speeches, here.
- Interior Secretary Ken Salazar called for a two-year hold on mining near the Grand Canyon. He decided to segregate 1 million acres of federal lands in Arizona while the Department evaluates whether new mining claims should be allowed on these lands.
- As part of the Rural Tour, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, and Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki, hosted a rural health community forum in Louisiana.
- Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is holding a $220 million competition to fund programs to prepare workers for careers in the health care industry. Grants awarded through the competition will be funded through the Recovery Act. here
- Just a reminder that Health and Human Services is holding its own competition -- you can enter your flu prevention PSA for a chance to win $2,500 here. The video should inform and motivate people to take steps to prevent the flu.
- Education Secretary Arne Duncan and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius highlighted the administration’s commitment to early childhood education, and announced their support of an unprecedented investment in early childhood education.
- The Coast Guard announced that the National Security Cutter, named Stratton, would be sponsored by First Lady Michelle Obama.
- DHS has a sparkling new website redesign and YouTube channel.