This Father’s Day President Obama is kicking off the Year of Strong Fathers, Strong Families as part of his Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative. It’s an effort with partners from around the nation to create simple opportunities for dads and kids to connect. Whether it’s a free game of bowling, a Major League Baseball or WNBA game, a visit to the zoo or aquarium, or discounts for dads and kids through partners like Groupon and LivingSocial, we’re excited to help create small moments that can have a big impact. You can learn more and take the fatherhood pledge at on www.fatherhood.gov.
In addition, President Obama sat down of a TV interview and wrote an op-ed this week discussing the important role fathers play and his own experience as a father. Check out the links to both and other Father’s Day content below:
- TV Interview: Earlier this week, President Obama sat down with Robin Roberts from Good Morning America and discussed the important role fathers play in the lives of their children and his own experience being a father to two young daughters. You can watch the interview on ABC.com.
- Op-Ed: President Obama also wrote an op-ed in People magazine discussing the importance of being a good dad. Check it out on People.com.
- Champions of Change: In honor of Father’s Day, the White House is honoring 15 Champions of Change who recognize the importance of good fathers as role models in young children’s lives and have dedicated themselves to mentoring and supporting fathers across the country.
- Weekly Address: In his Weekly Address this week, President Obama discusses his hardest, but most rewarding job – being a dad.
- Email: President Obama sent an email to the White House email list this morning in honor of Father’s Day. Check out the email and if you didn’t get it, sign up for the White House email list.