President Obama laid out a blueprint in his State of the Union address for an economy that’s built to last – an economy built on American manufacturing, American energy, skills for American workers, and a renewal of American values. The President released a budget that illustrates how we put that blueprint to work.
Yesterday in his message to Congress, the President explained that we are in a make-or-break moment for the middle class, and for all those who are fighting to get there. The Budget targets scarce federal resources to the areas critical to growing the economy and restoring middle-class security: education and skills for American workers, innovation and manufacturing, clean energy, and infrastructure. It is built around the idea that our country does best when everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules.
The Administration is dedicated to addressing the multi-layered challenges affecting the diverse subgroups and communities that make up the more than 14 million Asian American and Pacific Islanders. To construct an economy that is built to last and provide security for AAPI families, the 2013 Budget will:
- Support the DREAM Act
- Improve Higher Education for Students from Minority Backgrounds
- Strengthen Anti-Discrimination Enforcement
- Promote Citizenship and Integration
- Support Learning Among Migrant and Refugee Children
- Support Minority Businesses
- Take Immediate Action to Support Growth and Job Creation
- Give Every American a Fair Shot at Success by Improving and Reforming K-12 Education
- Expand Access to College
- Equip American Workers for Good-Paying Jobs Today and in the Future
- Promote Affordable Homeownership
- Support Responsible Homeowners and Help Them Stay in Their Homes
- Preserve Affordable Rental Opportunities
- Help States Provide Paid Family Leave to Workers
- Prevent Hunger and Improve Nutrition
- Improve Retirement Security
- Expand Affordable High-Quality Primary and Preventive Care
- Boost Funding for Workplace Safety
- Revitalize Distressed Urban Neighborhoods.
- Invest in Regional and Community Planning Efforts for Sustainable Development
Read more about how the President’s 2013 budget will help ensure security for Asian American and Pacific Islander families: HERE.