West Wing Week 01/25/13 or: “Behind the Scenes: Inauguration 2013”
This week, Washington D.C. was transformed into an historic stage, with an estimated one million people on hand to witness the President and Vice President take the Oath of Office at the United States Capitol. Through it all, West Wing Week was there, from the terrace of the Capitol to backstage at the balls. America, take a moment to look back at where we've been this week for this special edition of West Wing Week, January 18th to the 24th, or "Behind the Scenes: Inauguration 2013."
Saturday, January 19th
- The First Family participated in the National Day of Service, helping out in the construction of some new bookshelves at Burrville Elementary School in Washington DC.
- The first Lady and Dr. Biden kicked off Inauguration weekend by honoring military families at the, “Our Children, Our Future” kids’ concert.
Sunday, January 20th
- The Vice President was sworn into office by Justice Sotomayor.
- The President traveled to Arlington National Cemetery to meet the Vice President for a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns.
- The President was officially sworn into office by Chief Justice Roberts.
Monday, January 21st
- The 57th Inaugural Ceremony in our nation’s history occurred on the National Mall, followed by the Inaugural Parade.
- In the evening, the President attended the Commander-in-Chief’s Ball and the Inaugural Ball, with Jennifer Hudson providing the soundtrack to his dance with the First Lady.
Tuesday, January 22nd
- The President, Vice President, First Lady, and Dr. Biden attended the 57th National Prayer Service at the National Cathedral.
- The President and First Lady greeted guests on a White House tour.
- The President attended the Staff Ball to thank and celebrate with those who worked on his campaign and in his White House administration.
Thursday, January 24th
- The Vice President hosted a “Fireside Hangout” on Google+ to talk about reducing gun violence.
- The President introduced his nominee to be the Chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Mary Joe White, and announced that he will re-nominate Richard Cordray to direct the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.