This week, the President visited Lakota Country, the land of the Anteaters, and Pittsburgh's Tech Shop, while at home he hosted the first-ever Maker Faire and awarded the Medal of Honor.
Friday, June 13th
- The President delivered a statement on the South Lawn concerning the situation in Iraq.
- Then, the President boarded Marine One to depart on a three-day trip.
- The first stop was the Standing Rock Indian Reservation in North Dakota, where the President urged Americans to work together for the benefit of future generations of Native Americans.
Saturday, June 14th
- The President delivered a commencement speech for the University of California-Irvine. He urged the Class of 2014 to continue confronting climate change.
Monday, June 16th
- Vice President Biden attended the World Cup in Brazil, and congratulated Team USA on its victory against Ghana.
Tuesday, June 17th
- President Obama visited TechShop in Pittsburgh. The company helps American inventors make affordable prototypes.
- Vice President Biden met with Brazilian President Rouseff and had a bilateral meeting with Vice President Tehmer before visiting the U.S. embassy in Brasilia.
- The Vice President then went to Colombia and visited the chapel on top of the central Bogota mountain Monserrate.
Wednesday, June 18th
- The President hosted the first-ever White House Maker Faire. The event featured Makers, innovators, and entrepreneurs of all ages who are using cutting-edge tools and technology to bring their ideas to life.
- Vice President Biden held a bilateral meeting with Colombian President Santos, visited the National Center for Historic Memory, and then visited another U.S. embassy.
Thursday, June 19th
- President Obama briefed reporters about how the U.S. will confront the challenge in Iraq.
- The President awarded the Medal of Honor to Marine Cpl. Kyle Carpenter in the East Room of the White House. Cpl. Carpenter saved a fellow Marine by jumping on an enemy grenade in Afghanistan. He is the third Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.