the WHITE HOUSEPresident Donald J. Trump

Search form

White House History: The West Wing

The West Wing was completely rebuilt in the 1930's under the direction of President Franklin Roosevelt.

President Theodore Roosevelt started using the West Wing in 1902 for staff offices, and President Herbert Hoover had the wing remodeled following a fire in 1929. The West Wing was completely rebuilt in the 1930's under the direction of President Franklin Roosevelt. Renovations were completed in 1934, doubling the size of the West Wing and placing the Oval Office in its present location in the South East corner. (Library of Congress Online Catalog).