WORSENING SITUATION AT THE BORDER: New numbers released by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) reflect an ever-worsening crisis on our southern border.
- New data from DHS shows that more than 76,000 inadmissible aliens arrived at the southern border in February.
- An average of more than 2,000 aliens cross illegally every day at the southern border.
- Border Patrol has apprehended over 268,000 individuals crossing since the beginning of the fiscal year (FY), a 97 percent increase over the same period in the previous year.
- Our Nation is experiencing an unprecedented spike in the number of alien families arriving at the southern border, with more than 40,000 arriving in February alone.
- In this FY to date, there has been a more than 300 percent increase in the number of family units apprehended compared to the same time period last FY.
- Apprehensions of family unit aliens and Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) this FY have surged 338 percent and 54 percent, respectively.
- There has been a wave of large migrant groups flooding to the southern border.
- Seventy large groups of 100 or more individuals have attempted to cross the border so far this FY, compared with only 13 the previous year.
- Many of the migrants arriving at our southern border are requiring medical assistance, further straining resources and personnel on the ground.
- Customs and Border Protection is executing a new directive to expand existing medical service contracts and deploy additional medical personnel to the border.
UNDENIABLE EMERGENCY: We are facing an undeniable humanitarian and national security crisis at our border that constitutes a national emergency.
- Many migrants who make the trek through Central America and Mexico encounter horrifying violence, including sexual assault.
- One-third of women are sexually abused along the journey to the border, according to a report by Doctors Without Borders.
- Dangerous criminals have exploited our porous borders to gain entry into the country.
- In the last two years alone, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has made 266,000 arrests of illegal immigrants with criminal records – many charged with violent crimes.
- Deadly drugs continue to pour across our border and into our communities, including the vast majority of cocaine and heroin consumed in America.
- More than 70,000 American lives were lost to drug overdoses in 2017.
TAKING URGENT ACTION: President Donald J. Trump is taking urgent action to address the crisis we are facing and uphold his duty to ensure the safety of our Nation.
- The President has taken action to address this crisis and build barriers desperately needed at our border, including declaring a national emergency.
- Nearly $8.1 billion has been identified to build border barriers, including funds appropriated by Congress, funds available under other statutory authorities, and military construction funds available in a national emergency.
- President Trump deployed the military to assist our heavily strained border personnel.
- More than 6,000 troops have been deployed at the border.