ACHIEVING LANDMARK JUSTICE REFORMS: President Donald J. Trump championed the First Step Act, delivering the largest reform of our justice system in years.
- President Trump signed the groundbreaking First Step Act into law in 2018, enacting historic reforms to make our justice system fairer for all.
- The First Step Act addressed outdated, failed policies that were long overdue for reform.
- This legislation eliminated the “three strikes” life sentencing provision for some offenses, expanded judges’ discretion in sentencing of non-violent crimes, and more.
- The First Step Act is helping inmates successfully return to society by expanding access to rehabilitative programs.
- These programs address the risks and needs of each prisoner to promote rehabilitation.
- The President’s budget includes more than $400 million to expand access to First Step Act programs.
- President Trump’s approach is smart on crime, providing inmates an opportunity to succeed while making our communities safer.
OFFERING A SECOND CHANCE AT THE AMERICAN DREAM: Second chance hiring offers former inmates the opportunity to gain rewarding careers and enjoy the dignity of work.
- President Trump has promoted second chance hiring to build on the reforms of the First Step Act and provide opportunity for all Americans.
- President Trump launched the Federal Interagency Crime Prevention and Improving Reentry Council to create more second chances for those returning home from prison.
- Second chance hiring helps inmates live crime-free lives and find meaningful employment.
- The Administration is working to expand Pell Grants to provide education and training to inmates prior to release, helping them secure family-sustaining jobs.
- The Administration launched a “Ready to Work Initiative” to help connect employers directly with former prisoners and expand employment opportunities.
LEAVING NO AMERICANS BEHIND: President Trump’s pro-growth policies are ushering in an economic revival that is lifting up forgotten Americans and leaving no one behind.
- The unemployment rates for African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Asian Americans have all reached record lows under President Trump.
- Wages are rising, with low income workers seeing the fastest gains.
- Nearly 2.5 million Americans have been lifted out of poverty, with the poverty rates for African Americans and Hispanic Americans falling to new lows in 2018.
- President Trump has advanced workforce development to ensure everyone can seize on the opportunities created in this booming economy.
- President Trump’s Pledge to America’s Workers has prompted companies to pledge employment and education opportunities for nearly 15 million Americans.
- Americans who had been left behind are coming off the sidelines, with nearly three-quarters of Americans gaining employment coming from outside of the labor force.