REDUCING DRUG PRICES: President Donald J. Trump is working across the aisle to rein in the price of prescription drugs and protect American patients.
- Already, President Trump’s efforts have resulted in the single largest decline in drug prices in 46 years.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had a record number of generic drug approvals in 2017 and 2018. According to the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA), generic approvals under President Trump have saved consumers $26 billion.
- Congress needs to work with President Trump to address the global freeloading that forces Americans to subsidize drug research, development, and distribution for the entire world.
- The President is also requesting that Congress pass legislation that lowers drug costs, including policies that put a hard cap on out-of-pocket payments for seniors.
MAKING HEALTHCARE PRICES TRANSPARENT AND AFFORDABLE: President Trump wants to work with Congress to increase price transparency, end surprise billing, offer more options, and lower costs.
- Tonight, President Trump announced his commitment to take action to increase price transparency so as to prevent surprise billing and empower consumers.
- Hospitals, insurance companies, and drug companies should be required to disclose real prices to patients in order to drive costs down.
- The President has taken action to curtail the cost of healthcare by empowering patients, expanding options, and increasing competition.
- The Administration’s expansion of health insurance options are already reducing premium costs for many Americans after the ballooning increases caused by Obamacare.
A VISION FOR THE FUTURE: President Donald J. Trump wants to work with Congress to defeat the HIV epidemic in America, find new treatments for childhood cancer, and protect patients with pre-existing conditions.
- Scientific breakthroughs have allowed for us to make remarkable progress in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
- The United States has already achieved incredible progress on treating and preventing HIV/AIDS, saving the lives of 17 million people around the globe in just 15 years.
- President Trump’s Budget requests that Republicans and Democrats make the needed commitment to end the HIV epidemic in the United States within 10 years.
- President Trump is committed to tackling the scourge of childhood cancer by increasing research funding to find new treatments.
- Many childhood cancers have not seen new therapies in decades.
- The President’s Budget will ask Congress to start a new dedicated effort – $500 million over ten years – to fund critical childhood cancer research.
- It is important that Congress continues to find ways to ensure that patients with pre-existing conditions are protected.
- Last year, President Trump signed “Right to Try” legislation to expand treatment options for Americans with terminal illnesses.