ADVANCING TECHNOLOGY: President Trump is directing the Federal Government to prioritize research and development of America’s artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities.
- Today, President Trump launched his American AI Initiative that directs Federal agencies to prioritize investments in research and development of AI.
- The Initiative focuses Federal Government resources toward developing AI technology and ensuring that the next great AI inventions are made in the United States. Highlights include:
- Unleashing innovation in AI by supporting long-term research and increasing access to Federal data and computing resources for America’s AI researchers;
- Promoting a responsible approach to AI by encouraging transformative applications of AI, while continually improving outcomes for workers and users alike;
- Preparing America’s workforce for the jobs of the future by directing Federal agencies to help Americans gain AI-relevant skills and promoting Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education;
- Directing regulatory agencies to establish guidance for AI development and use across technologies and industrial sectors;
- Calling upon the National Institute of Standards and Technology to lead the development of appropriate technical and safety standards for AI systems; and
- Protecting America’s advantage in AI by promoting an international environment that supports American AI research and industries while securing critical AI technology.
DRIVING BREAKTHROUGHS: Developing America’s ability to leverage AI is critical to increasing prosperity, enhancing our national and economic security, and protecting our values.
- AI promises great benefits for American workers, with the potential to improve safety and increase productivity.
- Investment in AI is critical to creating the industries of the future like autonomous cars, industrial robots, algorithms for disease diagnosis, and more.
- Additionally, maintaining our Nation’s global leadership in AI will ensure that the technology is developed in a manner consistent with our Nation’s values, policies, and priorities.
- However, our Nation urgently needs workers and businesses skilled in AI and capable of leading our country’s development and application of AI into the future.
- AI must also be developed in a way that does not compromise our American values, civil liberties, or freedoms.
- Rapid technological innovation can lead to radical improvements in society and quality of life.
VISIONARY LEADERSHIP: President Trump is committed to enacting policies that promote and protect American leadership in technological development and innovation.
- President Trump has directed his Administration to take action to promote technical education and apprenticeships for American workers.
- The President has taken numerous steps to promote high quality STEM and computer science education in our schools and universities, with a particular focus on women and girls.
- The President is also protecting our National Security Innovation Base against those who illicitly acquire America’s hard-earned intellectual property.