PROTECTING THE VULNERABLE: President Donald J. Trump is making it a priority of our COVID-19 response to protect America’s most vulnerable citizens.
- President Trump and his Administration are following a four-part strategy to provide additional protection to our most vulnerable seniors.
- The White House and the Department of Health and Human Services will provide weekly data to States on high-risk nursing homes.
- The Administration will distribute $5 billion in funding – in addition to approximately $5 billion already approved for skilled nursing facilities – to all nursing homes who receive funds from Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement.
- To enhance testing in nursing homes, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is mandating that all nursing homes in states with elevated positivity rates test their entire staff each week.
- To help nursing homes comply with this mandate, the Administration will distribute more than 15,000 rapid point-of-care diagnostic devices and associated tests over the next few months, starting with nursing homes located in hotspot areas.
- The Administration will continue providing nursing homes and States with substantial technical assistance and training focused on infection control and best practices for nursing homes.
CARING FOR OUR SENIORS: The Trump Administration is focused on slowing the spread of COVID-19 and limiting exposure for America’s nursing home residents.
- Nursing homes have been severely impacted by COVID-19, with outbreaks occurring in multiple states.
- The vulnerable nature of a nursing home residents, combined with the inherent risks of congregate living, requires aggressive efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Older Americans have been shown to be at increased risk of COVID-19 complications and the median age of those who have succumbed to the virus nationwide is 78 years old.
- Data suggests that nearly half of all COVID-19 related deaths have occurred among residents of nursing homes and long-term facilities.
- By providing additional support to nursing homes, the Administration is ensuring that our vulnerable seniors and support staff are protected.
SUPPORTING NURSING HOMES: Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump has taken strong action to support nursing home residents and staff.
- The Administration has provided technical assistance and support to nursing homes and States throughout the pandemic, including onsite visits to higher-risk nursing homes.
- On April 30, the President announced an initiative to deliver personal protective equipment to more than 15,000 nursing homes across the Nation.
- CMS has issued comprehensive guidance to support nursing homes in their response to COVID-19, expanding access to free testing and telehealth for Medicare beneficiaries.
- The Administration has distributed more than 66 million gloves, 14 million masks, and 13 million gowns to nursing homes.