COMMITTED TO LIBERTY, DEMOCRACY, AND THE RULE OF LAW: President Donald J. Trump is taking a strong stand against the corrupt Nicaraguan regime.
- Today, President Donald J. Trump issued an Executive Order “Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua.”
- This Order demonstrates the President’s strong leadership in the Western Hemisphere, defense of democratic principles, and protection of human rights.
- The President’s Order permits:
- Sanctions against individuals, entities, and their associates engaged in corruption, human rights abuses, and undermining democracy in Nicaragua.
- The targeting of individuals and entities that threaten peace, security, and stability in Nicaragua.
- President Trump is committed to pressuring the regime of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega to restore democracy and rule of law in the country.
- President Trump is calling for free, fair, and early elections in Nicaragua to give the Nicaraguan people a true voice and vote in their future.
IMPOSING SANCTIONS: The Trump Administration is imposing targeted sanctions against high-level officials from the Nicaraguan regime and their supporters.
- The Department of the Treasury is imposing sanctions on high-level officials from the Nicaraguan regime. Individuals sanctioned include:
- Nicaraguan Vice President Rosario Maria Murillo De Ortega; and
- Nestor Moncada Lau – who has acted as a national security advisor to the President and Vice President of Nicaragua.
- These individuals are involved in human rights abuse or acts of corruption in Nicaragua.
- The Trump Administration will continue to add pressure on the Ortega regime and its supporters, using all the economic and diplomatic tools at our disposal.
STANDING UP TO AUTOCRATIC REGIMES: President Trump is confronting regimes in the region that disregard democracy and degrade security and stability in the hemisphere.
- President Trump’s actions demonstrate his continued commitment to standing up to autocratic regimes in the Western Hemisphere.
- Since taking office, President Trump has worked to counteract the corrupt and destabilizing regimes in Cuba and Venezuela.
- President Trump stands with the Cuban, Nicaraguan, and Venezuelan people and supports their calls for freedom.
- The Trump Administration will continue to publicly denounce Nicaragua under the Ortega regime as one of three undemocratic outliers in the region.