PARTNERING TO PROMOTE REGIONAL PROSPERITY: President Donald J. Trump is using the G20 Summit to work with partners to promote economic prosperity for the Americas.
- The Administration is working through the “Americas Crece” initiative to expand exports, enhance energy and infrastructure security, and increase investment throughout the region.
- President Trump continues to work to secure free and fair trade with America’s allies and improve access to regional markets in Latin America.
- Recently, it was announced that the Argentine market has been reopened to American beef. This followed a deal announced last year to open Argentina to American pork.
- This week on the sidelines of the G20, the United States signed a framework to strengthen infrastructure and energy cooperation with Argentina for years to come.
- The Overseas Private Investment Corporation also signed letters of interest for six projects in Argentina that are expected to attract more than $3 billion in investment.
- These projects are in key areas, including energy production, transportation infrastructure, and pipeline construction.
- Expanding commercial relations with our neighbors is a key part of the Administration’s effort to push back against unfair trade and investment practices and to protect the economic security of the region.
- Increased United States investment in Argentina and the region will improve our partners’ resiliency against predatory lending.
DEFENDING DEMOCRATIC VALUES: President Trump is standing up to authoritarian regimes across the region.
- President Trump is challenging autocratic regimes in the region that refuse to respect their people’s call for democracy.
- In Venezuela, the Trump Administration has imposed sanctions against the corrupt Maduro regime and its enablers.
- The Trump Administration has imposed sanctions on Cuban military and intelligence services for their continued actions to undermine democracy.
- This week, the President signed an Executive Order imposing sanctions on Nicaraguan officials for their dismantling of democratic institutions and human rights abuses.
- This Order will enable the Administration to target members and associates of the regime for its indiscriminate human rights abuses and rampant corruption.
ENHANCING REGIONAL SECURITY: The Trump Administration is working with allies to enhance regional security.
- President Trump is working closely with allies in the region to combat transnational criminal networks and terrorist organizations.
- The Trump Administration has partnered with Argentina to push for greater law enforcement cooperation to help combat organized crime and terrorism.
- Together, the United States and its partners are working to decrease the illicit flows of drugs, cash, and weapons and to combat human smuggling.