ACHIEVING BIPARTISAN REFORM: President Donald J. Trump’s signing of the First Step Act marks a monumental bipartisan win for the American people.
- Today, President Trump is signing the First Step Act – legislation that paves a new pathway for our Federal justice system, reforming decades of policies that have failed Americans.
- President Trump has been a tireless advocate of this legislation and has worked closely with Congress to secure its sweeping passage.
- This legislation was supported by an overwhelming majority of both Democrats and Republicans in Congress.
CREATING SAFER COMMUNITIES AND A FAIRER FEDERAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: The First Step Act will make our Federal justice system fairer and our communities safer.
- The First Step Act will help prepare inmates to successfully rejoin society and enact commonsense sentencing reforms to make our justice system fairer for all Americans.
- Among many reforms, the First Step Act will:
- Promote prisoner participation in vocational training, educational coursework, or faith-based programs by allowing prisoners to earn time credits for pre-release custody.
- Expand prison employment program opportunities.
- Enact fair, commonsense reforms to mandatory minimums.
- Eliminate the three-strike mandatory life sentencing provisions.
- Give certain offenders the ability to petition the courts for a review of their sentences.
- The First Step Act reforms our Federal justice system in a responsible way that will make our communities safer and keep violent criminals and sex offenders off our streets.
- These historic reforms will address problems that have plagued our justice system for years.
- Currently, approximately 77 percent of State inmates and 38 percent of Federal inmates are rearrested within five years of their release.
EARNING WIDESPREAD SUPPORT: The First Step Act has won praise from a wide-ranging coalition that crosses political divides.
- The First Step Act is supported by a broad coalition spanning the political spectrum, including business groups, faith-based organizations, law enforcement, and State and local leaders.
- More than 2,400 faith leaders joined in advocating for the First Step Act.
- This legislation has received incredible praise from law enforcement, including the Fraternal Order of Police, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and 172 former Federal prosecutors.
- National President of the Fraternal Order of Police: “[First Step] will make our streets and neighborhoods safer, and our police will be better protected.”
- Sheriffs from 34 States across the country recently wrote in support of the legislation and praised President Trump’s leadership on the issue.
- 172 former Federal prosecutors recently wrote Congressional leaders calling the legislation “good for federal law enforcement and public safety.”