SECURING OUR SEAFOOD SUPPLY CHAIN: President Donald J. Trump is taking action to secure our Nation’s food supply chain by supporting American seafood production.
- Today, President Trump is signing an Executive Order to increase America’s competitiveness in the seafood industry and protect our seafood supply chain.
- This order will instruct agencies to expand sustainable seafood production in the United States, including:
- Furthering more efficient and predictable aquaculture permitting processes;
- Accelerating regulatory reform to maximize commercial fishing; and
- Upholding common-sense restrictions on seafood imports that do not meet American standards.
- The President’s order will help solidify our Nation’s food security, protect American jobs in the seafood industry, and create new jobs in the United States.
- President Trump is also announcing the availability of $300 million to support fishermen and related businesses hurt by the coronavirus.
EXPANDING AMERICA’S SEAFOOD INDUSTRY: President Trump’s action will expand America’s ability to fully utilize our vast ocean resources.
- It is critical that America take steps to strengthen our seafood supply chain and bring our Nation’s seafood supply chain back home.
- While America has among the most extensive ocean resources in the world, our Nation ranks 17th in aquaculture production and imports roughly 85% of the seafood consumed domestically.
- China’s aquaculture industry is producing 100 times more seafood by weight than the United States aquaculture industry.
- Burdensome over-regulations and red tape on the aquaculture industry are stifling innovation and production.
- Under current regulations, small aquaculture facilities are forced to navigate an unnecessarily complex permitting process involving multiple Federal agencies.
PROTECTING AMERICA’S FOOD SUPPLY: This action builds on President Trump’s commitment to ensure that Americans have a sound and plentiful food supply chain.
- President Trump has taken action again and again to support America’s farmers, ranchers, and food suppliers.
- The President has worked tirelessly to expand markets for American agricultural goods through enacting fair and reciprocal trade deals like the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement and implementing tough tariffs.
- The President has authorized billions in support to help farmers and ranchers affected by retaliatory tariffs.
- President Trump has fought for our farmers at the World Trade Organization, winning multiple disputes.