Navigate this Section
Thank you for your interest in the White House Fellowship. The White House Fellows Class of 2023-2024 application will open on Tuesday, November 1st, 2022, and will run until Friday, January 6th, 2023.
The selection process is very competitive. The White House Fellows Program office processes the applications, and former Fellows screen the applications, to identify the most promising candidates. Approximately one hundred of the most qualified applicants are selected to be Regional Finalists and are interviewed by eight to ten regional panels, which are composed of prominent local citizens. Chosen candidates then proceed to Selection Weekend for the final round of interviews.
The President’s Commission on White House Fellowships awards Fellowships on a strictly non-partisan basis, and encourages balance and diversity in all aspects of the program.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Employees of the Federal government are not eligible unless they are career military personnel.
- Applicants must have completed their undergraduate education by the time they begin the application process.
- If you have additional questions about the program, please contact our program office at email@example.com or (202) 395-4522. If you encounter technical difficulties with your application, please contact WHFApplication@opm.gov.
Selection as a White House Fellow is based on a combination of the following criteria:
- A record of remarkable professional achievement early in one’s career.
- Evidence of leadership skills and the potential for further growth.
- A demonstrated commitment to public service.
- The skills to succeed at the highest levels of the Federal government, and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
All these qualities combined with the strength of one’s character, a positive attitude, and the ability to work well with others are taken into consideration when selecting a class of White House Fellows.
Applicants will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of three recommenders (and one alternate recommender) within the application portal. We encourage you to complete this section of the application as early as possible to ensure that recommenders have ample time to submit letters of recommendation.
We also strongly encourage you to provide diverse letters of recommendation (i.e. academia, professional, community service). It is best to have recommendations from individuals who know you well and can fully answer the questions that are asked in the application. For example, a recommendation letter from a prominent person is not helpful if that individual cannot speak about your background and character.
At least one recommendation should be from an individual that can speak to your professional competence and accomplishments in your field. At least one recommendation should come from someone with knowledge of your community and civic activities. In addition, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor, if applicable. A recommendation from a prior supervisor is acceptable, but a current supervisor is preferred.
Please take caution when submitting your recommenders’ information to avoid mistakes, as this section of the application will be locked once you submit the information and the only way to make changes is through Technical Services at WHFApplication@opm.gov.
Your recommender will receive automated instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf within 24 hours. If they do not receive this email, please contact Technical Services at WHFApplication@opm.gov; please be sure to provide the name and email of the recommender who did not receive the instructions.
Please contact the program office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 395-4522 if you have additional questions.