OMB Bulletin 99-01
November 16, 1998
BULLETIN NO. 99-01
TO THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND ESTABLISHMENTS
SUBJECT: Special Instructions for FY 1999 Amounts Made Available Through June 15, 1999
1. Purpose and Background. Pursuant to section 626 of Division A, section 101 (b) of the Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, FY1999 (P.L.105-277):
The appropriations and funds made available and authority granted under the Department of Commerce, Justice, and State, the Judiciary, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1999 shall cease to be available after June 15, 1999.
- The appropriations and funds under the Act are to be apportioned in the manner established for funds provided by a continuing resolution.
In addition, the managers' report on section 626 specifies that:
The departments and agencies under the Act are directed to provide financial plans, including funding requirements by month, to the Committees on Appropriations as soon as available, but no later than November 20, 1998,
- OMB will provide copies of all apportionments to the Committees on Appropriations.
This Bulletin provides instructions on the financial plans that the agencies are required to submit to the Committee on Appropriations and supplements instructions for apportioning in OMB Circular No. A-34.
2. Apportionments. You must request a written apportionment as soon as possible. When you request a written apportionment, be careful not to request a deficiency apportionment, that is, do not request an amount that would anticipate the need for a supplemental appropriation. Place amounts which would, except for section 626, be available after June 15, 1999, on line 5, with the notation "Not available pursuant to P.L. 105-277."
3. Agency Financial Plans. Prepare an agency financial plan for each account covered by section 626. Follow the instructions in the attachment. Submit the plans to the OMB RMO, with primary budget responsibility for the account. Do this as soon as possible, but not later than November 18. When you receive OMB clearance, transmit one copy to each of the Committees on Appropriations.
Jacob J. Lew
AGENCY FINANCIAL PLANS
Prepare an agency financial plan for each account covered by section 626 of Division A, section 101(b) of the Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, FY 1999 (P.L. 105-277). Submit the plans to the OMB RMO with primary budget responsibility for the account. Do this as soon as possible, but not later than November 18. After you receive OMB clearance, transmit one copy to each of the Committees on Appropriations.
For each account, the amount approved by OMB through the apportionment is the agency's financial plan at the account level, OMB normally apportions accounts by:
- quarters, which is called a Category A apportionment;
- annually for project, activities, or objects, which is called a Category B apportionment, or
- some combination of the above.
Since the reporting requirement is for monthly financial plans, distribute the amount apportioned at the account level by month, except for June. Divide June in half.
Exhibit 1 is an illustration of an account that is apportioned by quarters. Be sure to include the footnote indicated on all apportionments.
Exhibit 2 is an illustration of a monthly financial plan for the account in exhibit 1. Use the format in exhibit 2 for the monthly financial plans to be submitted to the Committees on Appropriations.
The agency monthly financial plan must be within the amounts apportioned by OMB. Place the amounts after June 15 in italics.
Fiscal Year 1999
APPORTIONMENT AND REAPPORTIONMENT SCHEDULE
*No funds available after June 15, 1999. No new obligations may be incurred
after that date.
Fiscal Year 1999
AGENCY FINANCIAL PLAN