Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
In addition to reviewing drafts of proposed and final regulations under a variety of statutory and Executive Order authorities, OIRA also coordinates retrospective review of regulation under Executive Order 13610, reviews and approves Government collections of information from the public under the Paperwork Reduction Act, and oversees the implementation of government-wide policies in the areas of information policy, privacy, and statistical policy. OIRA also coordinates agency implementation of the Information Quality Act, including the peer review practices of agencies, and participates in implementation of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement and Fairness Act (SBREFA). Finally, OIRA coordinates the Administration’s efforts under Executive Order 13609 to improve regulatory cooperation with our key trading partners, including Canada and Mexico.
To learn more about the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, click here.
Rules under review. Information about the Administration’s regulatory actions can be found on www.reginfo.gov, a website that makes information about OIRA’s review of regulations under Executive Order 12866 and Executive Order 13563 available to the public and features information about public meetings that OIRA conducts under Executive Order 12866.
Reginfo.gov includes a Regulatory Review Dashboard that graphically presents information about rules under OIRA review through an easy-to-use interactive display. The Dashboard allows the public to sort rules by agency, length of review, stage of rulemaking, economic significance, and international impacts.
The website also presents an Information Collection Request (ICR) Dashboard, which provides the public with direct access to agency information collection requests sent to OIRA for review under the Paperwork Reduction Act.
Participate in rulemaking. Regulations.gov is the source for information on the development of Federal regulations and other related documents issued by the U.S. Government. Through this site, the public can find, read, and comment on proposed regulations and related documents published by the U.S. Federal Government, and learn more about regulatory issues.
OIRA Governing Authorities and Key Guidance
- Executive Order 12866 - Improving the planning and the coordination of Federal regulation.
- Executive Order 13563 - Improving Regulation and Regulatory Review
- Executive Order 13579 – Regulation and Independent Regulatory Agencies
- Executive Order 13609 - Promoting International Regulatory Cooperation
- Executive Order 13610 - Identifying and Reducing Regulatory Burdens
- Circular A-4, "Regulatory Analysis" - Increasing the transparency of both the benefits and the costs of Federal regulation.
- 5 U.S.C. § 552a - Privacy Act
- 5 U.S.C. Chapter 8 - Congressional Review Act
- 44 U.S.C. Chapter 35 - Paperwork Reduction Act, C.F.R. Part 1320 - Controlling Paperwork Burdens on the Public
- Title V of the E-Government Act of 2002, Confidential Information Protection and Statistical Efficiency Act of 2002 (CIPSEA)
- Small Business Regulatory Enforcement and Fairness Act
- Information Quality Act, Section 515(a) of the Treasury and General Government Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2001