Navigate this Section
Joe Kiani, MSEE, is an engineer and entrepreneur who immigrated to the U.S. from Iran at the age of nine. He invented breakthrough technologies – now used in hospitals, homes, and even on our wrists – that use light to measure how much oxygen is in a person’s blood.
- Founder, chairman, and CEO of Masimo Corporation, a global medical technology company known for its pulse oximetry devices and other noninvasive patient monitoring technologies.
- Founder of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation.
- 2012 Ernst & Young “National Entrepreneur of the Year, Life Sciences”; 2018 Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation IP Champion Award; and 2021 Honorary Doctor of Science from San Diego State University.
- Inventor on over 500 patents or patent applications on advanced signal processing, optical sensors and wearable technologies.
- Member of numerous not-for-profit and for-profit Boards of Directors, including A Starting Point, California Institute of Technology and Children’s Hospital of Orange County.