Around Town: August 14, 2009
August 14, 2009
02:30 PM EDT
- The Department of Education is demonstrating how the Recovery Act is helping schools across the country. Check out the story of Scott Coleman, Principal of Mt. Vernon Community School in Virginia, as he explains the importance of investing in our children:
Viewing this video requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or higher. Download the free player.
- The Department of Education also announced an upcoming education tour with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rev. Al Sharpton. They will join Education Secretary Arne Duncan on a tour of four U.S. cities to discuss school reform.
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is wrapping up her 10-day trip to Africa today. She has visited seven nations: Kenya, South Africa, Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, Liberia, and Cape Verde. To get a behind-the-scenes look at her trip, visit the State Department blog.
- The Department of Justice and Department of Homeland Security announced an agreement with Mexico to develop a coordinated and intelligence-driven response to cross border smuggling and weapons trafficking.
- The Rural Tour headed to Alaska this week. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan, and Energy Secretary Steven Chu traveled to Bethel and Hooper Bay to learn more about some of the challenges and opportunities facing rural Alaska. You can learn more about the Rural Tour, which was launched in June, here.
- The Department of Energy has teamed up with the Treasury Department to award $2.3 billion in tax credits for manufacturers of advanced energy equipment. This is part of the President’s ongoing effort to spur our economy while investing in clean energy.