ONAP Staff: It Gets Better
Yesterday several White House staff posted a blog and video as part of the ‘It Gets Better ‘project. ‘It Gets Better’ is a national campaign targeting LGBT youth that started in the wake of several high profile suicides. The campaign encourages LGBT youth who may be the subject of discrimination, scorn or ostracization to look beyond their current circumstances and realize that that a bright future lies ahead. ONAP Director Jeffrey Crowley and I both participated in the video.
If you’re a young person who’s been bullied or harassed by your peers, or you’re a parent or teacher who knows a young person being bullied or harassed, here are a few resources that can help you:
The Trevor Project
The Trevor Project is determined to end suicide among LBGTQ youth by providing resources and a nationwide, 24 hour hotline. If you are considering suicide or need help, call: 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).
BullyingInfo.org is a project of the Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs (IWGYP) focused on providing tools and resources for youth, parents, teachers and mental health providers to prevent and address bullying.
It Gets Better Project
President Obama's video and Vice President Biden’s video are just a couple of the thousands of videos submitted by people across the country to inspire and encourage LGBT youth who are struggling. You can watch more videos at ItGetsBetterProject.com.
For even more information and resources visit or call:
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Matthew Shepard Foundation
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- National Suicide Lifeline 800-273-TALK (8255)
Greg Millett is ONAP Senior Policy Advisor
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy