President Obama Announces New National Security Team Members
04:07 PM EDT
Speaking this afternoon from the Rose Garden, President Obama announced several changes to his national security team.
Of all the jobs in government, leading my national security team is certainly one of the most demanding, if not the most demanding. And since the moment I took office, I've counted on the exceptional experience and insights of Tom Donilon. Nearly every day for the past several years I've started each morning with Tom leading the presidential daily brief, hundreds of times, a sweeping assessment of global developments and the most pressing challenges. As my National Security Advisor his portfolio is literally the entire world.
He has definitely advanced our strategic foreign policy initiatives while at the same time having to respond to unexpected crises, and that happens just about every day. He's overseen and coordinated our entire national security team across the government, a Herculean task. And it's non-stop -- 24/7, 365 days a year.
Today, I am wistful to announce that after more than four years of extraordinary service, Tom has decided to step aside at the beginning of July. And I am extraordinarily proud to announce my new National Security Advisor, our outstanding Ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice as well as my nominee to replace Susan in New York, Samantha Power.
“This team of people has been extraordinarily dedicated to America,” President Obama said. “They have made America safer. They have made America's values live in corners of the world that are crying out for our support and our leadership. I could not be prouder of these three individuals -- not only their intelligence, not only their savvy, but their integrity and their heart.”
Learn more about President Obama's second term nominations:
- President Obama nominates Jacob Lew as Treasury Secretary
- President Obama nominates Denis McDonough as Chief of Staff
- Read about President Obama's nomination of John Brennan to head the CIA.
- President Obama has tapped John Kerry to serve as Secretary of State.
- Read about President Obama’s nomination of Chuck Hagel as the next Secretary of Defense
- President Obama nominates Mary Jo White to run the SEC
- President Obama nominates Sally Jewell to Lead the Department of the Interior
- President Obama nominates OMB Director, EPA Administrator and Secretary of Energy
- President Obama nominates Anthony Foxx as Secretary of Transportation
- President Obama nominates Rep. Melvin Watt as FHFA Director and Tom Wheeler as FCC Chair