Cross Post: Statement by HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on Supreme Court Ruling on Defense of Marriage Act
Posted: June 26, 2013
Today’s Supreme Court decision finding the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional is a victory for equality, which is a core belief of this administration.
It is also a victory for families, especially those children whose parents’ legal same sex marriages can now be recognized under federal law.
As a result of today’s ruling, the federal government is no longer forced to discriminate against legally married same sex couples.
The Supreme Court’s decision on DOMA reaffirms the core belief that we are all created equal and must be treated as equal.
The Department of Health and Human Services will work with the Department of Justice to review all relevant federal statutes and ensure this decision is implemented swiftly and smoothly.
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy