Secretary Johnson Welcomes New U.S. Citizens
Ed. note: This is cross-posted from the Department of Homeland Security
Earlier this morning, Secretary Jeh Johnson joined USCIS Acting Director Lori Scialabba to welcome 468 new U.S. citizens at a special Naturalization Ceremony held at Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria, Va.
Secretary Johnson administered the Oath of Allegiance and delivered remarks to the citizenship candidates and their families and friends in attendance.
Among the men and women participating in today’s ceremony was Staff Sergeant Oscar Roberto Chavez, an active duty member of the U.S. Air Force, who Secretary Johnson thanked for his service and recognized as a model for other candidates.
As Secretary Johnson underscored, the United States has a strong tradition as a welcoming nation, and DHS is committed to promoting the lawful immigration process, expediting administration of immigration services, and promoting the integration of lawful immigrants into American society.
Clark W. Stevens is the Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs at the Department of Homeland Security
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy