Our Top Stories
West Wing Week 05/09/14 or, “Reach Higher”
08:00 AM EDT
This week, the First Lady launched her new Reach Higher education initiative, while the President hosted two bilateral meetings and a press conference, let loose some humor at the White House Correspondents Dinner, and traveled to Arkansas and California.
Friday, May 2nd
- On Friday, the President hosted German Chancellor Angela Merkel for a bilateral meeting in the Oval Office, a joint press conference in the Rose Garden and a working lunch.
- Later, the President met with AAPI business and faith leaders as they held a discussion on commonsense immigration reform.
- The First Lady travelled to the University of Texas San Antonio’s Annual College Signing Day, where she spoke about her new Reach Higher education initiative.
Saturday, May 3rd
- On Saturday, the President and First Lady attended the 100th Annual White House Correspondents Dinner.
Monday, May 5th
- On Monday, the President hosted President Ismail Omar Guelleh of Djibouti for a bilateral meeting in the Oval Office to highlight Djiboutis importance to regional security.
- Later that day, the President spoke on immigration reform at a celebration of the 152nd anniversary of Cinco de Mayo.
Tuesday, May 6th
- On Tuesday, the President participated in “Weather at the White House", a series of interviews with both local and national meteorologists to discuss that day’s release of the third National Climate Assessment.
Wednesday, May 7th
- On Wednesday, the President traveled to central Arkansas to tour the states tornado damage.
- Later, the President traveled to California to speak at the Shoah Foundations' 20th Anniversary Gala.