We the Geeks: SUBMERGED!
What better way dive into ocean science than to hear from an expert living 63 feet below the surface? To celebrate the end of National Oceans Month and one year of progress on President Obama’s Climate Action Plan, the White House and the Weather Channel will host “We the Geeks: SUBMERGED!” this Wednesday, June 25, at 2:00 p.m. ET.
Pioneers of ocean exploration and experts on weather and climate science -- including one who will participate from the ocean floor -- will join forces on this Google+ Hangout to discuss the importance of oceans to our way of life, the potential unlocked secrets held in the depths of our oceans, and how oceans both contribute to and are impacted by climate change and weather patterns. The all-star line-up will include:
- Sam Champion, Host, The Weather Channel
- Fabien Cousteau, Ocean Explorer, Film Producer, and Mission 31 Leader, will join from an underwater marine habitat off the coast of the Florida Keys
- Sylvia Earle, Marine Biologist, National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence
- Carl Parker, Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
- 2014 National Ocean Sciences Bowl Championship Team, Boise High School
- Beth Kerttula, Director, National Ocean Council
- Laura Petes, Senior Policy Advisor, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- “Ocean Cam,” live underwater feed from Aquarius underwater habitat
Participants will share what scientists know about how climate change is causing sea levels and ocean temperatures to rise, the impacts of ocean acidification, and how oceans are a critical engine of the climate and weather we experience above the surface.
Becky Fried is Deputy Director of Strategic Communications at the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy and Katie Wetstone is a Student Volunteer at the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy.
White House Blogs
- The White House Blog
- Middle Class Task Force
- Council of Economic Advisers
- Council on Environmental Quality
- Council on Women and Girls
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Management and Budget
- Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Science & Tech Policy
- Office of Urban Affairs
- Open Government
- Faith and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Social Innovation and Civic Participation
- US Trade Representative
- Office National Drug Control Policy