West Wing Week 07/04/14 or, “Cynicism is a Choice… Hope is a Better Choice”
06:54 PM EDT
This week, the President wrapped up a trip to Minneapolis, nominated a new VA Secretary, and caught some World Cup fever.
Thursday, June 26th
- President Obama met with Rebekah Erler, a working mom who wrote the President a letter about the struggles middle-class families face in America.
- The President then hosted a Town Hall at Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis. The discussion focused on a myriad of issues from the economy, healthcare, gun control, and climate change to name a few.
Friday, June 27th
- The President stopped by a job training center in north Minneapolis with Labor Secretary Tom Perez and Sen. Al Franken (D-Minnesota). The Project CARE class provides young mothers training in customer service and sales occupations for four weeks, followed by paid internships. Project CARE is a part of HIRED, a community-based organization in Minneapolis that helps individuals train for and find jobs.
- The President then delivered remarks focused on the economy at the Lake Harriet Band Shell in Minneapolis.
Monday, June 30th
- Monday morning the President and Chilean President Michelle Bachelet held a bilateral meeting in the Oval Office, where the two talked about the advancement of peace, global security, and free trade.
- President Obama delivered remarks in the Rose Garden on immigration reform.
- The President nominated Bob McDonald to take over as the next Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- The President hosted a reception in observance of LGBT Pride Month in the East Room.
Tuesday, July 1st
- The President held a Cabinet Meeting to underscore the responsibility of his Administration to act on behalf of the American people in the absence of Congressional action.
- The President delivered remarks on the economy at Georgetown Waterfront Park in Washington.
Wednesday, July 2nd
- The President sat down for an interview about the economy with Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal in the Oval Office.
- The President called U.S. Men's National Team captain Clint Dempsey and goalkeeper Tim Howard to commend them on their team's performance during the 2014 World Cup.
Thursday, July 3rd
- The President stopped by 1776 DC – a local firm that connects new startups with the resources they need to grow – to reiterate the need for cooperation in order to keep the economy growing.