My Brother's Keeper
“That’s what ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ is all about. Helping more of our young people stay on track. Providing the support they need to think more broadly about their future. Building on what works – when it works, in those critical life-changing moments.”
- President Barack Obama, February 27, 2014
Sign Up to Be a Mentor
About My Brother's Keeper
President Obama launched the My Brother’s Keeper initiative to address persistent opportunity gaps faced by boys and young men of color and ensure that all young people can reach their full potential.
Through this initiative, the Administration is joining with cities and towns, businesses, and foundations who are taking important steps to connect young people to mentoring, support networks, and the skills they need to find a good job or go to college and work their way into the middle class.
- Getting a Healthy Start and Entering School Ready to Learn
- Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade
- Graduating from High School Ready for College and Career
- Successfully Entering the Workforce
- Keeping Kids on Track and Giving Them Second Chances
All children should have a healthy start and enter school ready – cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally.
All children should be reading at grade level by age 8 – the age at which reading to learn becomes essential.
Every American child should have the option to attend postsecondary education and receive the education and training needed for quality jobs of today and tomorrow.
Anyone who wants a job should be able to get a job that allows them to support themselves and their families.
All children should be safe from violent crime; and individuals who are confined should receive the education, training and treatment they need for a second chance.
- Read the Presidential Memorandum here
- Read the Fact Sheet on New Commitments in Support of the My Brother's Keeper Initiative
- Read the My Brother’s Keeper Blueprint for Action Fact Sheet
- Read the President’s Task Force Report
- Read the Presidential Memorandum establishing the My Brother’s Keeper Task Force
- Explore Datasets on Critical Life Indicators