Austan Goolsbee, Staff Director and Chief Economist of the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board, gives us the agenda for the Board’s first official quarterly meeting:
[UPDATE: This event has now concluded.]
The first official quarterly meeting of the President’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board will be today at 9:30am in the Roosevelt Room at the White House. The focus of the meeting will be on energy and green jobs and the board will provide recommendations on how to enhance the strength and competitiveness of the nation’s economy through the creation of a comprehensive energy plan that will generate millions of clean energy jobs.
The purpose of the board is not to work inside the White House, but to be bring a diverse set of perspectives and voices from different parts of the country and different sectors of the economy to bear in the formulation and evaluation of economic policy.
Members have been gathering information, conducting research, and analyzing relevant issues in preparation for the first full board meeting. Individual members are also in regular contact with officials at Treasury, the Federal Reserve, and the White House.
The full meeting will be live streamed on whitehouse.gov and the board will issue a report that will be posted online following the meeting.
- Paul Volcker, Chairman
- Austan Goolsbee, Staff Director and Chief Economist
- William H. Donaldson, Former Chairman, SEC
- Roger W. Ferguson, Jr., President & CEO, TIAA-CREF
- Robert Wolf, Chairman & CEO, UBS Group Americas
- David F. Swensen, Chief Investment Officer, Yale University
- Mark T. Gallogly, Founder & Managing Partner, Centerbridge Partners L.P.
- Penny Pritzker, Chairman & Founder, Pritzker Realty Group
- John Doerr, Partner, Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers
- Jeff Immelt, Chairman and CEO, GE
- James W. Owens, Chairman and CEO, Caterpillar Inc.
- Monica C. Lozano, Publisher & Chief Executive Officer, La Opinion
- Charles E. Phillips, Jr., President, Oracle Corporation
- Anna Burger, Secretary-Treasurer, SEIU
- Richard L. Trumka, Secretary-Treasurer, AFL-CIO
- Laura D'Andrea Tyson, Dean, Haas School of Business at the University of California at Berkeley
Below is the agenda:
9:30-9:35 Austan Goolsbee welcome and opening statement, Administrative business: bylaws, forming of subgroups, etc.
9:35-9:55 John Doerr presents overview of letter on energy policy: discussion and vote on whether to forward to the President
10:00-10:05 President Obama gives overview
10:05-10:35 Discussion of Energy Policy and the Green Economy
A. Potential for green jobs
B. How to make US more competitive in clean technologies
C. What energy policy is needed to help innovation thrive
10:35-10:55 Wider issues of job growth in the economy
A. How to stimulate job growth
B. How to help small business
C. How to unleash credit
D. How to make America more competitive in key sectors
10:55-11:00 President Obama gives closing remarks