Watch Live: Summit of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
Today, President Obama kicks off a three-day Summit of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders, the flagship program of the President’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). The Washington Fellowship gives 500 of sub-Saharan Africa’s most prominent young leaders the opportunity to engage with U.S. government officials, entrepreneurs and civil society representatives, as well as leaders in international development.
Here's the full schedule:
Monday, July 28
- 9:00am - Welcoming remarks by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry
- 9:15am - Congressional Forum on Investing in the Next Generation of Africa with Coke Roberts, Senator Chris Coons, Senator John Boozman, and Congresswoman Karen Bass
- 11:30am - Young African Leaders Town Hall with President Obama
Tuesday, July 29
- 9:00am - Plenary session on Entrepreneurial Approaches to Activism, moderated by Sonal Shah, Georgetown University, with panelists Sipho Moyo, the ONE Campaign, Bill Carter, Ashoka, and Washington Fellow Alain Kaposo Chirwisa.
- 4:00pm - Private Sector and Civil Society Partnership Expo with remarks by Heather A. Higginbottom, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State, and Rajiv Shah, Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development.
Wednesday, July 30
- 9:00am - Plenary session on Enabling Inclusive Economic Development, moderated by Michael Froman, U.S. Trade Representative, with panelists Steve Case, Revolution, LLC, Alexa von Tobel, LearnVest.com, and Washington Fellow Tchegoun Adebo Koba.
- 11:00am - Remarks by First Lady Michelle Obama
- Time TBD - Closing Remarks
The video of this event is no longer available.